The school was founded in 1937 by the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of our Lady of Perpetual Help in Jamaica and is fully accredited by the government of Jamaica. Its’ CEEB-ACT code is 866300. It is an all girls institution with a 2002-2003 enrollment of 1938 student, with 118 of those doing post-secondary studies. It caters to a wide cross section of students around the island and has had several national and international scholarship winners. It is a public institution that operates on a term basis. A boarding school, which accommodates approximately sixty five (65) students also functions as the only boarding school in the parish of Kingston, St. Andrew.
The eleventh and twelfth grade students were admitted through merit scholarships based on the Common Entrance Examinations and are therefore considered among the top 15% of their age cohort. Presently, the GSAT examinations has replaced the Common Entrance Examinations, it however does not affect the rank, as only the top 15% receive admission to a traditional high school.
Since 1997 the Certificate of Excellence has been a part of our academic enrichment and motivational programme. It is awarded to students who achieved 80% or over in at least (3) three subjects. Our annual prize giving ceremony, the more recognized of the two, functions as a means to give recognition to the most outstanding students in particular subjects, classes and overall achievements.
Based on statistics gathered for the class of 2001 and 2002, approximately 30% of a particular graduating class went on to post - secondary education, 40% was admitted to two year colleges and the remaining 22% to other forms of study.
Approximately 95% of all post- secondary graduates go on to further studies.
Holy Childhood has been able to maintain a steady balance between academic and athletics. This is most evident in our ability to secure the title as the National Basketball Team of Jamaica. In addition, we have recently earned the title as the National Netball team of Jamaica.