Registrar General’s Department
* Grade 3
- To direct the recording of accurate transactions and ensure complete and timely financial statements are prepared.
- Chart of accounts prepared and maintained.
- Accounts reconciled.
- Financial schedules prepared.
- Complete and accurate sub-ledgers and ledgers provided.
- Financial statements produced.
- Accurate accounts and reports are produced within required timescales and in accordance with Agency financial policies and procedures.
- Staff is competent and motivated to achieve stipulated targets.
- Confidentiality and integrity are exercised.
- Design clear coding systems for the recording of capital and revenue expenditure through the mechanism of a chart of accounts.
- Review and authorise all journal entries.
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of all accounting records.
- Submit statutory returns on a monthly basis.
- Provide supervision and direction for the accounting staff.
- Report to the Director of Finance and Administration on all accounting areas.
- Ensure the custody of all assets.
- Review and authorise all edit reports and payroll accounts.
- Review the monthly payroll summary to ensure the payments year to date balances and deductions are accurate.
- Supervise the maintenance of payroll records to ensure accuracy and completeness and review the relevant reports and documents for accuracy and proper authorisation and initial accordingly.
- Undertake personnel and administrative duties including recruitment training, discipline, staff appraisal for Department staff in accordance with the Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Produce Financial Statements on a monthly basis.
- Prepare accurate audit schedules and updated monthly
- Ensure the smooth running of the financial accounting system and liase with the external consultant where necessary.
- Visit Regional Offices to ensure that cash disbursements relating to refunds and petty cash are issued in accordance with Financial Accounting and Audit Act (FAA Act) monthly
- Visit Regional Officers to inform on and ensure that Cost Savings initiatives are followed.
- Liaise with the banks regarding updates to the Agency’s Bank account.
- Perform other related duties as assigned from time to time by the Finance and Administration Director.
- Authorise petty cash floats and purchase orders.
- Review and sign cheque disbursements within specified limit.
- Review and implement accounting procedures.
- Access confidential information within the scope of the job and deny access of this information to unauthorised personnel.
- Recommend staff leave.
- Take disciplinary action in accordance with the Agency’s HR policies and procedures.
- BSc. Accounting/ACCA Level II or equivalent qualification/training.
- Three (3) years’ accounting experience including one (1) year at a supervisory level.
- Excellent knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of relevant computer applications.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Detail conscious.
- Confidentiality and Integrity exercised.
- Working knowledge of at least one Accounting Package (Great Plains Dynamics, ACCPAC, Oracle Financials, Solomon, Macola, Platinum etc.)
December 12, 2012
STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
Chief Accountant Selection
c/o Human Resource Manager
Registrar General’s Department