ACCOUNTABILITY / OBJECTIVES
Under the direction of the Human Resources Manager, the Occupational Health Nurse is responsible for the day to day activities of the Occupational Health Unit that supports close to 500 employees including skilled and semi-skilled personnel who are engaged in administrative functions and duties on the Port of Kingston in addition to a large cadre of pensioners.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
• Development and coordination of a wellness program for the Associationʼs employees, retirees and members.
• Managing the delivery of a primary health care system for employees
• Provision of first response nursing care in cases of illness or injury on the job
• Monitoring, reporting, recommending or arranging remedial action in cases of epidemics, health hazards or other threats to the employees, retirees
and members of the Association or the community in which it operates.
• Visiting sick and injured employees and retirees in hospital or at home, seeing to their comfort and reporting on their condition.
• Conduct safety audits and ensure compliance with safety procedures
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assistance in monitoring of employeesʼ benefits, including medical and group life insurance schemes
• Arranging pre-employment, annual and other periodic medical examinations for the relevant employees
• Case management which would include worker rehabilitation following illness or injury
• Conduct periodic inspections of the canteen facilities at the Associationsʼ facilities and reporting findings
to the HRM
• Ensure that Food Handlerʼs permits held by the Associationʼs employees are current.
• Supervision of a team of ambulance drivers and relief nurses.
• Providing the general services of an occupational health nurse based on the Associationʼs policy.
• Representing the Association/shipping industry on internal and external committees looking at occupational health and safety issues.
• Arrange for specialized training to be untaken for shipping industry personnel in areas such as CPR, First Aid and other appropriate courses.
• Other duties may be assigned from time to time.