• Good communication skills, both orally and in writing especially in report writing
• Good administrative, analytical and organizational skills
• Good leadership, team-building skills and coaching skills
• A proactive, flexible work attitude
• Highly developed problem solving and decision making skills
• Strategic vision
• Managing external relationships
• Customer and quality focused
• Knowledge of the relevant Planning Laws and regulations.
• Knowledge of the contingency planning process, elements of planning.
• General knowledge of the hazards (natural & manmade) and how they impact on development planning.
• In-depth knowledge of the development plan review process of Town Planning Department, Parish Councils and Natural Resources Conservation Authority.
• Knowledge of geographic information systems and their use in physical planning and disaster management.
• The application of physical planning theory to disaster management and development.
• Conduct hazard risk and vulnerability assessments
• Conduct damage assessment analysis and data collection.
REQUIRED EDUCATION /EXPERIENCE:
• First degree in Physical Planning, Earth Sciences, Natural Science (preferably a MSC in Planning).
• 4-5 years working in development planning either in government or private practice, in Jamaica, and familiarity with local regulations.
• Five (5) years or more lecturing in the subject area, or working in a related agency eg. Natural Resources Conservation Authority with planning related duties.