Main Responsibilities include:
• Directing the day-to-day management of the legal services functions of our bauxite mining, railing and shipping operations.
• Providing appropriate legal guidance and counsel on a wide range of legal, regulatory and commercial issues relevant to the Company, including: property and conveyancing; general contracting and commercial law, corporate governance, risk management, insurance; licenses, permits, regulatory compliance; litigation; policies, employee and labour related matters.
• Protecting the Company against legal risks; providing proactive advice on potential legal issues.
• Working closely with Executive managers; interpreting the law and providing support to ensure that the Company’s full legal rights and attendant obligations are protected and observed in the execution of its functions.
• Ensuring that the company operates in a manner that is fully compliant with all relevant local and international laws and statutes and business conduct guidelines which govern the operations.
• Leading and managing additional legal counsel - both direct report employees and external counsel as may be required from time to time.
• Representing the Company in legal proceedings.
• Developing and implementing company policies and procedures.
• Providing oversight and support to the legal aspects of the land transaction process.
The position: is a critical, dynamic, demanding and challenging one.
The successful candidate will:
• demonstrate excellent problem solving and analytical skills and an ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• be an energetic, driven, results oriented professional who has a demonstrated track record for the pursuit of excellence dealing with complex litigation matters.
All applications will be held in strict confidence.