The successful candidate will be expected to manage and plan the systematic execution of procedures for the timely and cost effective procurement of goods and services in accordance with Government of Jamaica procurement policies and procedures.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
• Plans, directs and manages the procurement functions and activities within the
• Facilitating advertisements inviting bids, proposals, quotations or applications through the desired media, so as to ensure a reasonable opportunity to respond by all interested parties;
• Overseeing bidders conference and public bid openings
• Directing the evaluation of tenders and guiding the recommendation through the approval process;
• Interpreting and implementing purchasing policy and advising on problems encountered;
• Managing procurement approval process, including convening procurement committee meetings; and,
• Liaising with distributors, contractors and suppliers to ensure timely delivery of goods and services and assisting in resolving discrepancies on a timely basis.
• Ensures that all required processes, systems and controls are in place within the unit to enable achievement of its objectives effectively and efficiently.
• Coordinate and conduct procurement compliance reviews
• Reviews language and submittals in contracts / agreements to ensure compliance with Government Procurement Policy and negotiates terms, executes final document or recommends execution;
• Interprets contract provisions and reviews contracts for accuracy and changes prior to bid and renewal;
• Negotiates terms and conditions of proposed service contracts/works, prepares Service Contracts;
• Conduct visits to suppliers of goods, services and works to review items and/or to determine specifications, as required, prior to the engagement of the procurement process;
• Conducts cost/value analysis to ensure value for money is consistently achieved on all purchases; develops and maintains a database of approved suppliers and service providers to facilitate the procurement of routine/standard goods and services.
• Monitors expenditure against budget, giving priority to inescapable items and contractual obligations;
• Liaises with the relevant project and accounting officers in the organization, to collate information for the Organization’s Annual Procurement Plan;
• Maintains continuous contact with the OCG to receive updates/changes in GOJ procurement policy guidelines; ensures they are communicated to all relevant staff and that they are appropriately implemented and complied with.
• Process requests for special/exception procurement and advises on the most appropriate action ensuring transactions comply with established standards.
• Oversees the preparation of Monthly Reports to the Office of the Contractor General
• Prepares the procurement and operational plans and budget and quarterly reports for the unit and ensures that annual plans are consistent with Organization’s policies and reflect financial targets.
• Prepares submissions to the Organization’s Sector Committee or the national Contracts Commissions, as directed;
• Makes presentations to the Procurement Committee, as necessary in relation to goods, services, works and consultancies being procured by the Organization;
• Monitor contracts awarded;
• Conducts research and prepares response to queries/request for information and/or data from the Office of the Contractor General (OCG),Organization of Finance and Planning as well as Internal and External Auditors;
• Manages the performance of staff by setting performance targets, monitoring and providing timely feedback on performance and initiates corrective action where necessary.
• Conducts Performance Appraisals and identifies and/or recommends training and other developmental programmes where necessary.
• Participates in the recruitment and selection of staff and recommends movement when appropriate.
• Ensures team members are provided with adequate and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively.
• Recommends leave and disciplinary action in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures.
• Performs other related duties assigned from time to time as assigned by the Human Resource and Administration Executive.
Full information on this job can be found on the following website:
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.