|Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)|
UPDATE: Holness names Shadow Cabinet
2012-01-19 12:09:37 | (0 Comments)
The Opposition Leader Andrew Holness has named a 16-member shadow Cabinet to oversee the 20-member government ministries of Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller's Cabinet.
Opposition Leader Andrew Holness - Photo.
This morning, Opposition Leader outlined that the spokespersons' responsibilities have been so crafted that they have a dual role: to scrutinize and respond to the actions of the ministries/ministers as currently structured, and also to have an advocacy role in devising and proposing policy development in each portfolio area.
The spokespersons were also charged with the task of public education in carrying policy positions to the people of Jamaica.
The Shadow Cabinet
1. Andrew Holness, the former education minister will be the shadow spokesman on defence and development, and operations of the Office of the Prime Minister.
2. Former house speaker, Marissa Dalyrmple Phillibert, will shadow the education and human resource development portfolio.
3. Newcomer, MP Desmond McKenzie, assumes the role of spokesperson for urban renewal, rural development and local government.
4. Former finance minister, Audley Shaw will shadow the finance, planning, growth and economic development portfolio.
5. Delroy Chuck, has been assigned responsibility for justice, national security and electoral matters. He is also the Leader of Opposition Business in the House.
6. Dr Ken Baugh takes the health and quality of life portfolio from Ruddy Spencer, who is not in the shadow cabinet.
7. Senator Christopher Tufton takes the foreign affairs, foreign trade and investment portfolio.
8. Gregory Mair is the Industry, commerce and energy spokesman.
9. Karl Samuda - Transport and Works and Infrastructure Development
10. Edmund Bartlett - Tourism and Travel Service Development
11. J. C. Hutchinson - Agriculture, Mining and Natural Resource Use
12. Daryl Vaz - ICT and Digital Society Development
13. Dr. Horace Chang - Housing, Water, and Environment
14. Shahine Robinson - Social Security and Poverty Reduction
15. Olivia Grange - Youth, Sports, Gender Affairs, Entertainment and Culture
16. Senator Arthur Williams - Information, Public Service and Labour
Parliamentary committee chairmen
Audley Shaw - Public Accounts Committee
Ed Bartlett - Public Administration and Appropriation Committee
Ruddy Spencer - Human Resource and Social Development Committee
Everald Warmington - Economy and Production Committee
Derrick Smith - Internal and External Affairs Committee
Pearnel Charles - Infrastructure and Physical Development Committee.
Source: The Gleaner/Power 106 News
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form.
Go- Jamaica: Home | Business Directory | Jobsmart | Chat | Gallery | Videos | Events