|Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)|
Banks respond to illegal cash withdrawal from ATMs
2012-07-09 16:17:30 | (0 Comments)
The Bankers Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BATT) Monday told the public not to panic after banks uncovered a scam involving the illegal removal of cash from their customers through the use of Automatic Teller Machines (ATM).
BATT president Richard Young, speaking on radio in Port of Spain, said that several customers had been affected after their accounts were targeted by people who used technology to capture information from their cards and used them at ATMs to withdraw money.
“We have started working with the authorities, with the police and there will be another meeting this afternoon ...in terms of how we could move towards making contact with these people that we would like to talk to,” Young said.
“I believe we are on top of it and I want to re-assure the public it is not a question of any bank computer system being hacked into or any of this sort and I want to apologise again to those people who we have really caused some inconvenience,” he added.
“But you know this phenomenon is not unique to Trinidad and Tobago. It is something that is worldwide and I believe that as an industry locally we have moved fairly quickly and have dealt with it.” Young said.
According to the BATT, at least six people were picked up by surveillance cameras and the authorities were now trying to contact them.
While the banks would not disclose the amount of cash withdrawn from the accounts of their customers, Young said the banks had to block off a number of ATM cards in order to prevent illegal use of customers’ accounts.
“We are in the process of replacing those cards so my suggestion to the public is that if you cannot access your account either through the ATM or internet banking or you have seen some transactions that you are not aware of please contact your bank and make arrangements to go in and have a chat with them,” said Young.
“(If) in fact funds have been taken out without your approval, the bank will certainly investigate. We have a good sense of which accounts and we will certainly make arrangements to have you reimbursed. So there is no need to panic,” he told radio listeners.
Young said while the banks have identified “the areas of breach and have moved to close that off so that it would not happen again”, it would be difficult to say if the thieves would not try to attack the banks again.
He said the banks have no evidence of a regional or international ring operating the scam “at this stage”.
Source: The Gleaner/Power 106 News
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form.
Go- Jamaica: Home | Business Directory | Jobsmart | Chat | Gallery | Videos | Events