|Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)|
Jamaica dominates world travel awards
2012-09-17 17:04:25 | (0 Comments)
Jamaica copped several awards at the 2012 World Travel Awards Caribbean and the Americas gala held recently at Beaches Turks and Caicos.
Sangster International Airport, adjudged the leading airport in the Caribbean - File
The destination and local tourism partners dominated the competition, collectively winning more awards than any other destination, according to a release from the Ministry of Tourism and Entertainment.
Jamaica won awards in the categories of the Caribbean’s:
• Leading destination,
• for having the leading tourist board,
• the leading airport which went to Sangster International,
• leading cruise destination,
• leading cruise port which went to Ocho Rios,
• leading sports tourism destination,
• leading meetings and conference centre for the Montego Bay Convention Centre,
• and the Port of Falmouth named the Caribbean’s leading tourism development project.
According to the release, Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Dr. Wykeham McNeill has attributed Jamaica’s achievements to “the tenacity and determination to market the destination and our excellent tourism product overseas.”
He also attributed it to the “spirit of excellence that continues to drive the team in the Ministry and its agencies and all our tourism partners.”
Director of Tourism John Lynch said “these awards serve to underscore that our tireless efforts to promote destination Jamaica and to enhance our tourism offerings and tourism infrastructure continue to reap rich rewards for the destination.”
Jamaica’s resorts and travel partners also won awards in the categories of the Caribbean’s:
• leading boutique resort which went to Golden Eye Hotel and Resort,
• leading activity operator, Chukka Caribbean Adventures,
• leading adventure excursion operator, Dolphin Cove,
• leading meetings and conference Hotel, Half Moon, Montego Bay,
• leading villa resort and leading villa residences, Round Hill Hotel and Villas,
• leading attractions company, Island Routes,
• and leading hotel brand, Sandals Resorts International.
The Caribbean award for the leading all-suite hotel went to Sandals Royal Plantation; leading car hire, Avis, and leading travel agency, Trafalgar Travel.
The award for Jamaica’s:
• leading spa resort went to Round Hill,
• leading golf resort, Half Moon,
• leading hotel, Jamaica Inn,
• leading resort, Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa,
• leading boutique hotel, Rockhouse,
• leading business hotel, Spanish Court,
• and leading car hire, Island Car Rentals.
Source: The Gleaner/Power 106 News
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form.
Go- Jamaica: Home | Business Directory | Jobsmart | Chat | Gallery | Videos | Events