|Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)|
Health ministry takes dengue fight to unplanned settlements
2012-10-16 09:26:27 | (0 Comments)
The Ministry of Health say it will be focusing on unplanned settlements and communities where dengue cases have been identified, as it intensifies its response to the outbreak.
Workers from the Ministry of Health and KSAC bushing a swamp area on Marcus Garvey Drive which is a mosquito-breeding site - file photo.
On Thursday, the ministry declared a dengue outbreak noting that there was a rapid increase in both the clinically suspected cases of dengue and laboratory confirmed cases.
Since then, it has convened the National Dengue Technical Working Group, activated the Emergency Operating Centre at King Street, and intensified the vector control field activities to search for and destroy mosquito larvae.
The ministry said over the past two weeks there have also been efforts to increase the awareness about the increase of the aedes aegypti dengue virus carrying mosquito.
It said all parishes have been engaged in vector control activities, prioritising the communities with confirmed cases and unplanned settlements.
It said intense mosquito control activities were conducted this past weekend particularly in Kingston and St Andrew, St Catherine and Manchester.
Meanwhile, the ministry continues to appeal to the public to search for and destroy mosquito breeding sites in and around their homes workplaces and communities.
Source: The Gleaner/Power 106 News
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form.
Go- Jamaica: Home | Business Directory | Jobsmart | Chat | Gallery | Videos | Events