|Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)|
CSO staff sent home
2013-03-01 12:33:56 | with audio | (0 Comments)
Health officials this morning sent home workers at the Central Sorting Office at the Post and Telecoms Department, to allow for extensive clean up of the building.
A woman fainted after the release of noxious fumes at the CSO. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
Staff who turned up for work today complained they were still feeling the effects of yesterday’s noxious fumes.
A team from the Kingston and St. Andrew Health Department visited the office this morning and held a meeting with the staff.
Medical Officer with responsibility for Environment Dr Sandra Chambers explained that residue from the fumes were still in the building.
Dr. Chambers said the poor ventilation contributed to the situation and advised that staff be sent home while the matter is addressed.
Yesterday, the building had to be evacuated and the area cordoned off after staff members became ill because of a foul odor in the building.
More than 40 persons had to seek medical attention.
Dr. Chambers said the building was checked and the source of the fumes was not found inside the office.
She said the team investigating the matter will turn its attention to nearby sites as they search for the source of the fumes.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:
Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica
Follow us on Twitter
Listen to Audio clip
Medical Officer with responsibility for Environment Dr Sandra Chambers at the Kingston and St Andrew Health Department
Source: The Gleaner/Power 106 News
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form.
Go- Jamaica: Home | Business Directory | Jobsmart | Chat | Gallery | Videos | Events