Listen to Live Jamaican Radio, Listen to Power 106 FM 24x7. Click Here to Listen Free | (Advertisement)
Go-Jamaica
Go-Jamaica
Latest
Gleaner Online
Financial Gleaner
The Star
Sports Jamaica
YouthLink
Hospitality Jamaica
Voice Online
Chat
Entertainer   
Video
Discussion Forum
Go Local Jamaica
Careers
Dating
Discover Caribe
Discover Jamaica
Library Services
Photo Gallery
Press Release
Scholarships
Search Archives
Weather  
News by E-mail
Newspaper
Newsletter
Our Services
Gleaner Company
Web Hosting
Web Development

GLEANER ONLINE
DR. Anthony Vendryes
THURSDAY, JUNE 10, 2004
CHAT TRANSCRIPT

Question
What does the Doctor think of the Atkins Diet?
Anthony Vendryes
Good concept but the original programme by Dr. Atkins needs modification because each person has a unique body composition and requires a personalize programme that tell them exactly how much protein they should have. I recommend the programme call ShapeWorks.

Question
Is the doctor here now - holla back
Anthony Vendryes
Yes, I am here now.

Questions
I think I know Dr. Vendryes were you known as Tony Vendryes growing up?
Anthony Vendryes
Yes one of the same.

Question
Ok I think we grew up as boys. Just want to say hello.
Anthony Vendryes
Hi there I hope all is well.

Question
I am obese and would love to lose weight. What does the Doctor recommend that I do?
Anthony Vendryes
I recommend the programme call ShapWorks which requires that you provide your height, weight, age and sex so that we can customize the recommendation for you for the programme Shapeworks.

Question
I attended a meeting a couple of weeks a back and they were saying that certain bushes we drink as teas can cause cirrhosis, any idea which ones?
Anthony Vendryes
Certain herbs belonging to the Crotalaria family have been associated with cirrhosis (some liver problems).

Question
So doc what areas are you specialize in?
Anthony Vendryes
I head the Vendryes Wellness Centre in Kingston and Montego Bay where we offer holistic and complimentary medical therapy for wide range health concerns. We focus a lot on nutrition and lifestyle changes in our programmes. My book on Ounce of Prevention also outlines the approach we use for many disorders.

Question
Good Evening Dr. Can you offer some weight loss tips? What's the best way to loose weight and keep it off?
Anthony Vendryes
First you should have your body composition assess. This can be easily done if you provide us with your height, age, weight and sex and we will recommend a safe and effective nutrition programme call ShapeWorks.

Question
Where can I access the ShapeWorks programme? I'm in Kingston.
Anthony Vendryes
You can call 379 5976 or email; boniface@cwjamaica.com

Question
Any specific names of the crotalaria family?
Anthony Vendryes
I cannot recall at present but I can check and let you know.

Question
What is eczema?
Anthony Vendryes
Eczema is an inflammatory skin condition, which often is due to a disturbance of the immune system. Example allergy and stress.

Question
Where is the good doctor in Kingston?
Anthony Vendryes
The Vendryes Wellness Centre is located at 2 Fairway Avenue, Kingston 10 - 927-8871. You need to call for an appointment.

Question
Complimentary so you are saying free of charge.
Anthony Vendryes
Complimentary means combining conventional and alternative medicine.

Questions
What are you views on the anti-smoking lobby?
Anthony Vendryes
For a long time smoking has been the commonest cause of death in the world. Only most recently nutrition has overtaken it. Everything possible should be done to get people to stop smoking.

Question
Doctor, I heard about the ShapeWorks, but could you explain how it works?
Anthony Vendryes
ShapeWorks targets each individual unique body composition and personalize their protein and calorie intake so there is no question they will lose weight and keep it off when combined with physical activity. This programme is also for persons who want to gain and maintain weight. To start this program one has to do a body analysis this will determine your lean body mass, calorie intake for weight loss and daily protein targets. This is done by providing your weight, height, age and sex information. Protein plus healthy carbohydrates equals success

Question
Do you also deal with acupuncture and such methods, if not what do you think of the use of osteopathy, acupuncture methods etc.
Anthony Vendryes
These are well-established effective therapies in alternative medicines.

Question
What are your views on banning doctors who smoke (openly) given the alleged dangers of cigarette smoking?
Anthony Vendryes
I don't think you can ban them because they have not done anything illegal. But in my opinion a doctor who smokes is doing a great dis-service to himself/herself and their patient.

Question
Is the ShapeWork a safe programme? Is there any other programme that you endorse?
Anthony Vendryes
ShapeWorks is a very safe and effective programme particularly because it recognizes that one size does not fit all and customizes the programme for each individual. I know of no other programme that is so committed to an individual plan.

Question
Conventional medicines in my opinion somewhere down the line is always connected to alternative medicine. We only have to look at the discovery of penicillin mould. Whilst a mould it could be classed alternative medicine but one manufactured as a synthetic analogue it became a conventional drug.
Anthony Vendryes
The words conventional and alternative are both inadequate and even misleading. In China for example acupuncture would be conventional where as in Jamaica it would be classed as an alternative. So the terms complimentary or integrative medicine has begun to replace the term alternative.

Question
Doctor what food do you recommend for diabetic?
Anthony Vendryes
Diet is extremely important for Diabetics. They do much better on a diet that is higher in healthy protein and low in starch and sugar. They should eat several small meals per day instead a couple large ones and should have between seven to nine servings of vegetables and fruits daily.

Question
What alternative treatments are available for sinusitis and headaches?
Anthony Vendryes
1. Change your diet, eliminate dairy products, tin and process foods

Question
Do you think that the current fast food culture is wrecking our health? If yes what are you suggestion to correcting this trend
Anthony Vendryes
Absolutely, the fast food industry will not go away but we need to educate people on healthy fast foods. For example soy protein shake drinks.

Question
So then what could you do for eczema and what do you charge for an appointment?
Anthony Vendryes
The treatment depends on an evaluation of the cause of the problem in your case. You can call 9278871 for details.

Question
I have sinus problems what are your recommendations
Anthony Vendryes
1. Change your diet and avoid dairy products - tin and highly process foods.
2. Avoid dust, smoke and chemical irritants.
3. Detoxify and cleanse your system.
4 Balance your immune systems with herbs and vitamins, like schizandra, rosemary and vitamin C.

Question
Dr. Vendryes thank you for your comments, I must dash, I found the discussions informative, and I am in fact a physician in England. Keep up the good work God bless.
Anthony Vendryes
Greetings my friend and hope I will meet you one day.

Question
How important is a healthy mind in the prevention of illness and in the healing process
Anthony Vendryes
Extremely important. There is a long list of health disorders refer to as psychosomatic diseases. These are conditions that are real and very physical in nature but whose underline cause is primarily a mental or emotional one. Unless you deal with the underline emotional or mental problem purely physical treatments will not produce lasting results.

Question
I want to also find out do you offer help to people who need to gain weight
Anthony Vendryes
Absolutely. The programme can be modified to help you lose, gain or maintain your idle weight and shape and that is why it is call ShapeWorks.

Question
Why then ban marijuana knowing the medical benefits of it not cigarette?
Anthony Vendryes
Marijuana does have medical benefits but chronic use can also create other health problems.

Question
What's up Anthony?
Anthony Vendryes
Everything and nothing. How are you?

Question
I shall seek it out. How may I get additional information on the product?
Anthony Vendryes
Call 379-5976 or email boniface@cwjamaica.com

Question
Dr. Anthony Vendryes First of all, Greeting would you please tell mi what is ETHEX?
Anthony Vendryes
I not sure what you mean. Can you give some more explanation?

Question
How does a person over come stress?
Anthony Vendryes
First you must realize that stress is not a person, thing or condition. Stress is a reaction. It is the way we choose to react to place, things and conditions. So managing stress involves is really learning to manage how we are reacting to things. Just like how you can learn to ride a bicycle or swim you can learn the skills of managing stress.

Question
Why are people afraid to face the dangers of Ganja or Cigarette smoking? Does this it self show the addictive nature of these substances?
Anthony Vendryes
Yes, addiction is one issue. The other issue has to do with people who want to escape from their present reality and then the companies that sell these products spend vast among in advertising and brain washing people in buying their products.

Question
Dr. Vendryes where did you get your degree from and do you have any advise for someone wiling to pursue that career and how long have you been in the medical field?
Anthony Vendryes
I have been a Doctor for thirty-three years and graduated from the UWI and the Royal College of Surgeons with conventional medical degrees. My specialty was then in anesthesia and intensive care but over the past fifteen years have shifted the focus of my practice to a holistic and integrative approach. There are a number of colleges in the US and in Europe that now offer training in naturopathic medicine.

Question
Doctor I want to know if I'm a sex addict, because if my man does not want to have sex with me I would punch and kick him. Doctor what do you think?
Anthony Vendryes
It depends on you recognizing what it is that you are really seeking. For some people sex represents other things like getting attention or experiencing intimacy and closeness. So you need to try to discover what it is you are really craving for when you are seeking for sex.

Question
Hello Dr. apart from it's addictive nature ganja also has medicinal properties, one of which I know of is it's use to treat Glaucoma, what are the other medicinal properties that you may be aware of?
Anthony Vendryes
It is also use as a medicine to treat asthma and bronchial as well as in the treatment of cancer patients who are having side effects from their treatment.

Question
Does every woman have yeast?
Anthony Vendryes
Yeast (Candia) is an organism or germ that exist in the vagina of virtually all women. In the healthy person it lives in balance with the good bacteria and causes no problems only when some imbalance occurs example the use of antibiotics or severe stress or weakness of the immune system or diabetic does the yeast over grown and cause problems.

Question
Hello Dr. Anthony I went to college for one year to study to be a naturopathic doctor but because of illness I had to stop, I'm thinking to pursuing it again .I would like to know what conventional medicines you can use for high blood pressure and tourette's syndrome and autism?
Anthony Vendryes
There are alternative treatment programmes for all those conditions, but time will not allow a detail explanation here. As with most medical problems and individual consultation before starting treatment is desirable.

Question
Does smoking ganja have the same effect on your lungs as smoking cigarettes?
Anthony Vendryes
Smoking anything will introduce chemicals into your lungs with potential harmful effect. So smoking ganja also has possible health consequences, particularly when done excessively.

Question
Is acupuncture an effective method of treating illnesses?
Anthony Vendryes
Billions of Chinese have effectively uses acupuncture for century and it has now become popular in the western world. Like everything else a lot depends on the skill and experience of the practitioner.

Question
Doctor what do you know about the herbal juice Xango?
Anthony Vendryes
Sorry I am not acquaint with it.

Question
Would you say that there is conflict between conventional and alternative medicine in the sense that conventional doctors might be reluctant to recommend alternative treatment?
Anthony Vendryes
Yes, that situation often arises particularly because conventionally trained doctors have little or no knowledge or experience about many alternative therapies.

Question
Doctor last three months I went into the hospital because I ate something and I got an allergic reaction. I did a cat scan; they found out that my white blood cells are too high, what do you think about that?
Anthony Vendryes
It is hard to give you an opinion without knowing more about your details. But an allergy can cause your white blood cells count to increase.

Question
Is acupuncture available in Jamaica?
Anthony Vendryes )
Yes there are acupuncture here in Jamaica.

Question
Dr. Anthony I'm seeing a Chinese Practitioner for my back pain I got from a car accident. I'm taking acupuncture. Should there be any signs to look out for?
Anthony Vendryes
He wants to observe if you are responding positive or negative to the treatment. Acupuncture is usually very safe.

Question
Doctor my friend is asking this. I'm 25 years old virgin with a very bad mood. I cannot stand men each time I go out on the first date I find something wrong with them. The guys don't like me because I get angry too quick. I'm afraid to have kids because I cannot control my anger but I'm often happy but switch my moods so fast, my cousin tells me to check myself in a mental institution. What do you suggest that I do even though I feel I'm not sick? This is not me is my friend asking
Anthony Vendryes
It does sound as if you may be having a mood disorder. I would recommend that you have someone do an evaluation so that you can work on this problem.

Question
Dr what are boils caused from?
Anthony Vendryes
Boils are infections in the skin usually due to bacteria. If you are having frequent boils then there may be some underline cause like diabetes or a weak immune system.

Question
Someone once used a reflexology technique in which he applied pressure to ends of my fingers - he claimed it should clear sinus congestions and headaches...is there any truth to this?
Anthony Vendryes
Reflexology technique is a well establish therapy that can be used to treat many conditions. However, it is not enough to just treat the symptoms you also want to deal with the underline of the problems. For examples, bad diet, allergy etc.

Question
Greeting Dr. Anthony Vendryes it is a pleasure to have you in the mix of our company
Anthony Vendryes
Thanks you and a pleasure being here.

Question
Ok Dr. Vendryes but I am in New York but I will note your address.
Anthony Vendryes
We can put you in contact with distributors of the programme in the New York area.

Question
Why is smoking cigarette legal and it's the leading cause of death in the world
Anthony Vendryes
Because big companies and governments make vast amount of monies from the sale of these deadly substances.

Question
Where can I get a chart that show what my acceptable weight should be?
Anthony Vendryes
The usual height and weight charts are very inaccurate and misleading. I recommend that you have a Shape scan body analyzes done. This is an electronic devise which when attached to your arm and leg will send an electronic signal to your body and produce a computerize print out of your idle body weight and your bodies metabolic weight. Shape scan testing is available at several locations in Jamaica including my offices 927-8871 or 979-3333.

Question
Good day Doctor Anthony please allow me to rephrase my question. How dangerous is a bad liver problem and how long can a patient ignore this symptom?

Anthony Vendryes
Your liver is vital to your health. So a bad liver is a bad problem. How bad depends on how bad the problem is and what is causing it. You need a consultation to fully evaluate your problem.

Question
Doctor, what is the best painkiller for menstrual cramps?
Anthony Vendryes
You need to look at what is causing the cramps and deal with the cause and not just the symptom (pain). One very natural supplement for a menstrual cramp is the Chinese herb Tang Kuei which is available in tablet form.

Question
Doc do you think sexuality is determined by nature or nurture?
Anthony Vendryes
It varies from person to person and it is often a combination of both.

Question
My friend is only 23 and looks older because she has many wrinkles on her face. What can I do to help because the makeup she is using is making her worse?
Anthony Vendryes
The skin is often a mirror of what is going on in side. Instead of just wanting just a quick fix externally I would recommend that we do an overall evaluation of your friend's health to see if there is something internal causing the external wrinkling.

Question
Dr. Vendryes my doc says I am producing a lot of androgen, could you explain what the purpose of androgen is?
Anthony Vendryes
Are you male or female? Androgens are male hormones, which are present in different amounts in both males and females. Again you would need an individual evaluation to sort out your problem.

Question
Good Evening Doctor How long does it takes for a person who had a very mild stroke to recuperate? As its only his memory sensors seems to be affected whereas he doesn't quite remembers when he is to see his doc after being told a few hours prior?
Anthony Vendryes
It depends on the treatment that is given. An alternative approach using nutrition supplements, herbs etc can be very effective with this kind of problem.

Anthony Vendryes
It was wonderful chatting with you this evening and would encourage you to keep yourself educated and informed about or on preventing disease and optimizing your health. Remember your health is in your hands, treat it with care, and handle it with love. Good night and God Bless.

[Copyright | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Subscriptions| RSS Feeds | Contact Us | About The Gleaner]